Momentum Grows for Well Living Lab™ — a Delos™ and Mayo Clinic Collaboration
Leaders from nineteen organizations from around the world will convene at the second annual Well Living Lab Alliance Summit on September 26 – 27 in Rochester, Minnesota.
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Sept. 26, 2017 — Today, two years after opening the Well Living Lab, a burgeoning Alliance will be gathering at the Lab, where a three-year research plan will be unveiled. Members will be invited to examine synergies with their own research and development activities.
Together, Alliance members are invested in scientific research that will determine how the interiors of buildings and homes can be designed to provide measurable health benefits. The goal is to generate evidence-based findings that can be applied in practical ways to create healthier indoor environments that will have a positive impact on people’s lives.
The Lab has purposefully surrounded itself with expert advisors on both its Scientific Advisory Board, and through the growing Alliance. Companies represented include product manufacturers and service providers focused on indoor environments and other leaders in indoor spaces including engineering, real estate, lighting and technology firms.
“The growth of the Alliance over this past year has been exciting to watch and to be part of. We have 19 member organizations of varying industries creating a very insightful community focused on the indoor built environment.” said Brent Bauer, M.D., medical director of the Well Living Lab and director of medicine for Mayo Clinic’s Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program. “The Lab is studying the effects of indoor environments on our health, well-being and productivity. We have surrounded the Lab with many stakeholders. Each Alliance member contributes really unique insight that can help inform our work.”
All research conducted in the Lab is Mayo Clinic Institutional Review Board (IRB)-reviewed and studies real people living or working in a specially configured space within the lab. The Lab team anticipates publishing the findings of their first study in the near future.
The Lab’s first study, Acoustic, Lighting and Thermal Conditions in Offices and Their Effects on the Health and Wellness of Adult Office Workers (‘ALTCO’), was featured in the scientific journal Nature, in the September 2016 article, “The office experiment: Can science build the perfect workspace?”, and demonstrated that the Lab can effectively modify indoor environmental conditions and measure the effects on building occupants.
A collaboration of Delos™ and Mayo Clinic, the Well Living Lab is the only research facility dedicated solely to understanding the interaction between health, well-being and indoor environments through human-centered research. The Well Living Lab combines the health care expertise and world-class research of Mayo Clinic and the knowledge of health and wellness in the built environment provided by Delos™. The research undertaken tracks with the International WELL Building Institute’sä (IWBIä) WELL Building Standard™ (WELLä), which focuses on seven concepts relevant to indoor health — air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind. IWBI is a founding member of the Lab, and joined the Alliance in March 2017.
“Building on existing standards aiming to guide developers, product manufacturers and services, the Well Living Lab will be a leader in conducting studies and translating scientific research into practical solutions for indoor environments that have the potential to enhance human health and quality of life,” said Peter Scialla, COO of Delos, and member of the Lab’s Joint Steering Committee.
Additional information on the Alliance Members’ organizations can be found below and on the Well Living Lab’s web site:
- Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists working across every aspect of today’s built environment.
- CBRE Group, Inc. is the world’s largest commercial real estate services provider, with an adept knowledge base of how buildings are built, sourced, managed, occupied and sold.
- Essentia is a global sleep wellness technology company specializing in the engineering and manufacturing of natural and organic foams.
- Hines is a privately owned global real estate investment firm with approximately $100 billion of assets under management.
- HKS is a team of more than 1,350 architects, interior designers, urban designers, scientists, artists, anthropologists and other professionals working together across industries and across the globe to create places that delight, heal and stimulate peak performance.
- HOK is a global design, architecture, engineering and planning firm that uses design to enrich people’s lives and help organizations succeed.
- IBM bets that cloud and cognition is the ignition for growth. IBM is the world’s top provider of computer products and services, increasingly investing in its cloud and cognitive computing systems. Watson, the artificial intelligence system helps customers in a wide range of businesses analyze massive amounts of data to make better decisions. The company’s information technology, business services, and software units are now among the largest in the world. While it has moved from hardware to a large degree, the company maintains industry-leading enterprise server and data storage products lines. IBM’s next era is all about the power of cognitive solutions, Cloud platform delivered to transform industries.
- International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (IFF) is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world, co-creating unique products that consumers taste, smell, or feel in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages.
- The International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) is a public benefit corporation that is leading the movement to promote health and wellness in buildings and communities everywhere. IWBI delivers the cutting-edge WELL Building Standard™ and the WELL Community Standardä, performance-based systems for measuring, certifying and monitoring features of buildings and communities that impact the health and wellness of the people who live, work and learn in them.
- Ketra’s natural light solution is the best to meet the WELL standard. Natural light can positively impact productivity, sleep quality, and mood. Ketra’s innovative lighting technology has 35 patents issued and 26 patents pending and Ketra works with leading lighting scientists to incorporate the latest research into their product line. Ketra’s mission is to make the world healthier and more beautiful.
- Lendlease is a leading international property and infrastructure group, with capabilities spanning the property value chain including development, project management & construction, asset and property management and investment management.
- Milliken brings expertise across a breadth of disciplines, including specialty chemicals, floor covering, and performance and protective textiles, working to add true value to people’s lives, improve health and safety, and help make the world more sustainable.
- Noaber Foundation, based in the Netherlands, focuses on healthcare technology as an enabler of healthier lives for patients and people through increased vitality, enhanced independence from formal care and smart delivery of healthcare.
- Panasonic is a comprehensive electronics manufacturer for products ranging from electronic components to home electronic equipment, electrical appliances, factory automation, information/communications, lighting and housing equipment.
- Shimizu Corporation is rooted in its long-standing tradition how businesses can contribute to society based on a firm union between ethics and economics. Shimizu’s expertise extends across multiple lines of businesses: Construction, Architecture, Engineering and Property Services.
- Sino-Ocean Group, based in Beijing, boasts a multi-regional and diversified portfolio of both development and investment properties.
- Structure Tone is a global leader in construction management and general contracting services with offices located in the US, UK, and Ireland. Founded in 1971, they are focused on partnering to imagine, execute and realize their clients’ vision.
- View Inc. offers intelligent windows that maximize natural light and unobstructed views while reducing heat and glare. View Dynamic Glass is used by leading developers and architects to enhance occupant comfort and increase asset value.
- Welspun is a multinational company whose core industries are steel, energy and textiles.
Alliance membership is available to companies who have a vested interest in healthier indoor environments for their employees and customers, as well as those whose products and services have the potential to impact indoor environments.
- Watch this video to learn more about the Well Living Lab.
- Follow the Well Living Lab on Twitter (@WellLivingLab), Facebook and LinkedIn.
About the Well Living Lab
A collaboration of Delos™ and Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation, the Well Living Lab is the first human-centered research facility dedicated to identifying how buildings — and everything that goes in them — impacts human health and well-being. The purpose of the Well Living Lab is to study these indoor environments and create healthier indoor spaces in which to work, live and play. The Well Living Lab is unique in that research is conducted on real people, in real-world settings. This is made possible by the revolutionary infrastructure of the Well Living Lab, which features 5,500 square feet of sensor rich, reconfigurable Lab space where researchers can conduct research with human subjects in simulated, real-world, built environments.
As the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™, Delos is transforming our homes, offices, schools, and other indoor environments by placing health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. Delos helps create spaces that actively contribute to human health, performance and well-being by marrying the best innovations in technology, health, science, and real estate. The Delos platform includes programming, design, consulting, research, and an array of innovative solutions and technologies designed to improve health and well-being. More information on Delos is available at www.delos.com.
About Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit organization committed to medical research and education, and providing expert whole-person care to everyone who needs healing. For more information, visit http://mayoclinic.org, and www.newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org.
Director of Communications, Well Living Lab